Thule 971 Helium - Thule Hitch Mount Bike Racks
The Thule 971 Helium is an ultra-light aluminum hitch rack bike carrier that is nearly half the weight of a traditional bike carrier. The Thule 971 Helium makes installation and removal easier and safely carries three bicycles behind your vehicle.
- Holds up to three bikes, two bikes on a Class I hitch
- No-tool installation, simply load into the hitch receiver and tighten receiver knob
- Narrow cradle arms hold a wider range of bike frames including smaller children's frames
- T3 Cradles hold bikes in place for maximum frame protection and stability
- Patented No-Sway Cage prevents bike-to-bike contact
- Hitch Switch lever tilts carrier from vehicle for trunk, hatch, or tailgate access
- Includes integrated locking cable and receiver lock knob to secure bikes to hitch rack and hitch rack to vehicle
- Hitch adapter included to accommodate 1 1/4" or 2" receivers, no accessory purchase required
- Bike arms fold down when not in use or for storage
- The Helium will not fit a Class I hitch made by Hidden Hitch, Drawtite, or Reese without modification
- For all 1 1/4" hitches, Helium stinger foot must be able to extend 2 5/8" from center of pin hole into receiver hitch without obstruction
- Need a receiver hitch? Try our Curt Hitch Finder (US Customers Only)
Stock Status : Currently On Order
**Stock status is to be used as a general guide to current inventory. Availability is not guaranteed.
Dimensional Weight : 26.0 lbs.
UPC Code : 091021971172
To watch our Thule 971 Helium Product Video, click here.
To download the Thule 971 Helium Installation Instructions in PDF format, click here. If you are having problems opening the PDF in your browser, please right click here and save link/target on your computer and then open it. To download Acrobat Reader click here.
Thule 971 Helium Reviews
Matthew Meyer rated this item 5 out of 5 on 2/3/2010:
This is my first bike rack, so I really don't have anything to compare it to. I was slightly apprehensive to order this since it is made from aluminum an not steel, and was concerned about strength. However, after reading numerous reviews and speaking the the helpful sales staff at Rack Attack, I decided to take the plunge and go for it. After receiving the unit, I noticed that only the vertical arm and the horizontal arm holding the bikes are aluminum. The bottom-most part of the unit (the part that connects to the receiver hitch) is solid steel. This was a huge relief to me as this is the part that will take the most stress from the weight of the bikes. Thule should really call this out in their product literature. Assembly time is about 20 minutes, and overall I'm very satisfied with this purchase. I can tell it's going to serve me well for many years.
DM rated this item 2 out of 5 on 4/16/2009:
Seems like a well-built rack, but it does NOT carry 3 bikes like the advertising claims - it can only carry 2 bikes on a class 1 hitch. It doesn't say this in the marketing material, but in small type in the manual you'll see it does. Don't ask me why they make a class 1 hitch for three bikes and then tell you it can't be used for that. Also, some of the marketing material says it's easier to put on kids bikes or women's bikes because of the narrower bars. I didn't have any such luck & and to use a crossbar for both. That of course was before my hitch started bending and nearly destroying my bikes and rack. If you have a class 1 hitch, don't get this - get the 970.
Thule is pleased and very excited to recognize Rack Attack as a Thule 5-Star Dealer because we are "going beyond the borders..." and providing consumers the ultimate point of reference for locating product, service, and support.
Not sure if this Thule product fits your vehicle, or current rack? Browse through the Thule iPaper Fit Guide to see what solution works.
Not sure if this Thule product fits your vehicle, or current rack? Try our Thule Rack Automated Fit Guide and fill in your vehicle information to see what solution works.
Thule now offers a Limited Lifetime Warranty on all Thule Brand rack systems and all accessories manufactured by Thule.
Browse Thule's entire product line using their Latest Catalog. (Warning: 7MB PDF Download)